Oil Cleansing – The Most Effective Way To Cleanse The Skin.
I was sceptical when I first heard about oil cleansing because my skin is sensitive and I’m prone to blemishes. I thought it would clog my skin and make me look greasier but it has had the opposite effect. My skin looks more dewy, less greasy and my pores have shrunk. I am completely converted.
What Is It?
The basic idea of oil cleansing is to use natural oils in specific combination to cleanse the skin and naturally balance the skin’s natural oils. This produces much more nourished and moisturised skin than traditional soap and detergent based facial cleaners. Oil cleansing is a dirt magnet.
Even Acne.org explains the benefits of oil cleansing:
Fact: Oil dissolves oil. One of the most basic principals of chemistry is that “like dissolves like.” The best way to dissolve a non-polar solvent like sebum/oil, is by using another non-polar solvent similar in composition: Other oils. By using the right oils, you can cleanse your pores of dirt and bacteria naturally, gently and effectively, while replacing the dirty oil with beneficial ones extracted from natural botanicals, vegetables and fruit that heal, protect and nourish your skin. When done properly and consistently, the OCM can clear the skin from issues like oily skin, dry skin, sensitive skin, blackheads, whiteheads and other problems caused by mild to moderate acne–while leaving your skin healthy, balanced and properly moisturised.
But Does It Work?
This is the part I’m most excited to share! One of my clients with severely dry skin and blemishes has switched to oil cleansing and she has seen a dramatic improvement in her skin. She told me she now has minimal breakouts, her skin no longer feels sore AND her skin is no longer dry.
There are drawbacks though. Sometimes with oil cleansing, there can be an adjustment period where the skin can get worse but this is usually for only about a week. I believe this is a detox reaction while the impurities are being drawn out of the skin. Most people find that after 3-4 weeks their skin has visibly improved, you just need to keep going with it.
When I think back to my bad skin days, I do sigh when I think of all the chemicals I used as a teenager and in my mid 20’s to try and keep my acne under control. If I only had known about oil cleansing and a good nutritional diet back then.
I asked several clients, friends and family members who now use the oil cleansing method how it has worked for them, and they seemed to have the same results. Some even noted that the combination of oil cleansing and taking hyaluronic acid daily has been the best anti-ageing treatment they’ve discovered!
What You Need:
All you need are a couple of natural oils and a clean muslin cloth/washcloth.
The most common oils used are castor oil and olive oil, though any natural oil can be used.
Castor oil is naturally astringent, so it helps pull impurities from the skin, making it ideal for oily or combination skin (and even dry skin in lesser amounts). Castor oil is described as the dirt magnet.
Other oils to use are olive oil, sunflower, jojoba, or even coconut oils work great.
I get all of the oils I use for oil cleansing from Whole Foods Market or other good health food stores. Use oils that are cold pressed, organic and pure.
What To Do:
- Oily Skin: 1/3 castor oil and 2/3 olive, sunflower or other oil
- Combination Skin: 1/4 castor oil and 3/4 olive, sunflower or other oil
- Dry Skin: All nourishing oils like olive oil, or a very small amount of castor Oil added to the nourishing oils.
To find out the best blend for you, I recommend mixing small batches first and adjusting if needed.
I’ve also found that even pure coconut oil works great once skin has adjusted, though it can be drying on some skin types.
To Wash Face With Oil Cleansing:
- Take a 5 pence piece of the oil blend into your hand and massage onto your face (don’t wet skin first). Use smooth circular upward strokes. Massage for at least a minute (two minutes is better) or until you are sure that the oil has saturated your skin. This will also remove make-up very effectively, so there is no need to remove make-up first.
- Place a clean muslin cloth under very hot tap water until it is completely soaked and quickly wring it out. Open it and place over your face. This will create steam against the skin to remove the oils and any impurities in the skin. Leave the muslin cloth on until it cools. Repeat if needed with the other side of the cloth and then use the corners of the cloth to gently remove any remaining oil and makeup. There will still be a thin layer of oil on the skin and this is beneficial.
- Next step is to tone with a Rose or other floral water (avoid alcohol on the skin); this prepares the skin for hydration and helps to keep the PH balance in the skin.
Don’t Want To Make Your Own?
I don’t blame you; it is so much easier to let the experts put the blends together and you get the pretty packaging too. Here are my favourites, they are organic and use cold pressed oils.
Happy oil cleansing!
I would love to hear about your experiences with oil cleansing so please get in touch email@example.com